Friday, December 17, 2010

The Best of Both Worlds

Ever heard of the idiomatic expression "Do not put all your eggs in one basket"?  It simply means not to focus all your resources on one hope, possibility or avenue of success.  I have thought of this concept after having an educated heated conversation with one of my friends with regards to our plans for our son in the future.  The argument was about whether it's better to send our child to the Philippines if we would not be able to send him to a good college in America. 

Our friend disagreed with the concept (which I know he has his own reasons) whereas Ryan and I do not close our doors to the idea.  Simply because we were both foreign-trained and are pretty much doing good right now.  The same goes to our other friends who have become successful in their respective fields. 

One good thing about being a Filipino-American is that our child will have the opportunity to explore, see and experience the best of both worlds.  His options are limitless.  If by the time he is in college and the Philippines is doing better than America in terms of education, we'll give him the chance to grab that opportunity.  If not, then he can stay here and look for other possibilities for his future.

I believe that both the US and the Philippines have so much to offer to my child.  It's just a matter of knocking on the right opportunity and nailing it.  As parents we want our best for our children and no matter how difficult it will be, we will do our best to show him all the options for a bright future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd appreciate if you leave me your insights.