Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Music and Baby

Music is a moral law.
It gives soul to the universe,
wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
gaiety and life to everything.
It is the essence of order and
leads to all that is good and just and beautiful. PLATO

The first toy I got for my baby is the Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube. It has six sides on it. Five sides have musical instruments in it and one side is the orchestra option. I first saw this toy during my nanny days and I used to put it on the baby's feet so he would kick on it and make music. I did the same to my baby as early as one month old so he could be acquainted with the sound of classical music even if he couldn't move yet.
Then, when he was about two months, I rocked him to sleep using Ultimate Bible Song Collection. From then on, my husband and I introduced him to many types of children songs including educational as well as silly songs. As much as possible we don't want him to listen to modern pop songs yet (except of course when he hears it on TV). Not until maybe he's four or five.

The reason behind this is that we believe that we should let him be a kid. He should learn to sing songs that are age appropriate for him. Besides, there are so many subliminal messages in pop songs nowadays. We don't want him to listen to songs that are beyond his comprehension. Not just yet. He needs to hear songs that have simple meanings and would help enhance his intellectual abilities.

Someday when he gets a little bigger, we'll introduce him to playing instruments. Whatever he chooses to play, we'll be there to support him. Who knows, he might end up like his great grandfather who was a composer and a pianist.

*Here are some interesting facts and tips about Music and Children's Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd appreciate if you leave me your insights.