Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

Growing up from a country which is known for having the longest and most celebrated Christmas in the world, it is just but natural for me to be joyous when the season is here. This is my favorite time of the year. For three years now, I've been celebrating my Christmas in the United States and struggling whether I should use Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.


A few days ago, our family went to a Christmas party which was attended by a diverse group of people. Before going there, I knew that there will be guests who were not Christians so I prepared myself to greet them happy holidays instead. To my surprise, there were some of them who greeted me Merry Christmas. That was when I got comfortable greeting everyone Merry Christmas.

After the party, I immediately checked on the internet what the greeting preference of most Americans is. I have found out that in 2009, they still prefer greeting Merry Christmas and that many of them still acknowledge its real meaning which is
the birth of Jesus Christ and that it is not just an ordinary holiday.

I was so relieved upon reading the articles because as a devout Catholic, I would want to instill to my child that Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth and not just merely an ordinary holiday where he gets a lot of presents. As parents, we would also like him to keep an open mind that not everyone is a Christian (Catholic) like him and that he should respect what other people's beliefs are even if some of them celebrates Christmas or the holidays with us.

Related Articles:
1.  Most Americans Prefer 'Merry Christmas' To 'Happy Holidays'
2.  True Meaning of Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I'd appreciate if you leave me your insights.